Don't make excuses.
In this episode of Competencies without a Classroom podcast, we interview filmmaker, Rob Comeau. Listen and learn:
- What separates two identical resumes when Rob is hiring
- The one life skill that Rob wasn't taught in high school, but wishes he was
- What is Rob's #StrongOpinionLooselyHeld
Missed the last episode? Listen to the interview with Navid Nathoo and have students reflect.
Reflection Prompts for Your Students
Use the prompts below to have your students reflect on what they heard in the episode and consider how Rob's advice can be applied to them.
- Rob speaks about how he is not only an artist but an entrepreneur. Why do you think artists consider entrepreneurship as a component of their career? How does this impact the success of an artists’ career?
- Rob attributes his ability to pivot in the pandemic to his mindset and positive attitude. How does his mindset set him up for success? Why do you feel having a growth mindset is a beneficial trait?
- In the podcast, Rob shares a failure he experienced and how it helped him to be motivated to continue making his film. Share a failure that you have experienced and what motivated you to overcome it.
- Reflect on how asking for feedback can help you to succeed in a project or in a career. Why is it important to keep an open mind when receiving feedback from others?
- How do you develop problem-solving skills on a regular basis? How can you demonstrate this competency in your digital portfolio? How are creativity and problem solving interconnected?
Bite-Sized Video Clips
If you're running short on time, or just want to play a snippet for your class or colleagues, the bite-sized videos below are perfect for sharing.
Learn More About Rob
Website - for students to watch Unmasking
Other Resources Shared in This Episode
How You Can Help Out